Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Hey babies. :)

Went to the master class at 9am today.
Gee, I just slept for 3 hours yesterday. And the weirdest thing was I didn't feel exhausted at all. I guess my body already starts to adjust to this weird life-clock of mine. :D

The masterclass today was given by a professor from Juliard. I'll check out his name tomorrow and update here. I was totally rushing there this morning coz my friend asked me to help his senior (who was the translator today) in translating just in case she had any problem with it.

I really liked what the professor taught us. The first question that he directed to us will always be, "Tell me what do you think about this piece/concerto/sonata. What is it about?" And when we shook our heads, he would joyfully continued, "Boys and girls. The story here is...... the upbeat/syncopation/etc!"

He could entertain us and teach us a lot at the same time. :)
I especially love the way he relates music to languages. According to him, there were only 4 kinds of bowing: Legato, detache, spiccato and Martele! :D
Legato and detache are the vowels, and spiccato and Martele are the consonants! Music is about how you manipulate these vowels and consonants into a great speech! :D

And of course the most important thing is, what is the orchestra doing when you're playing the sonata/concerto/etc.
A lot of ppl just didn't pay attention to the accompaniment, but their own parts. So when the professor asked them, they could do nothing but shook their heads.
The accompaniment actually defines what is the mood of the music that the composer wants at certain parts. :D
We were fascinated when he showed it to us by asking the pianist to play her part.
We had been so ignorant after all!

Haha.. The translating was fun today. I secretly hope that the translator today wouldn't be upset. Though Xing Xing said she looked a bit unhappy. I didn't mean to take over her place as the translator, but she didn't translate a lot of things and the audience were all confused and blurred so I stepped out to help. :S
I actually disagreed with a woman who sat right opposite me. Evidently she had good command of English, but she didn't help when the translator made mistakes. That was still okay. The worst thing was she smirked behind the translator. I really disliked that.
A guy came to ask me to go for his masterclass the day after tomorrow to translate for him. And I have to translate for my friend tomorrow for his masterclass too! It will be another professor from Germany. Haha... I love translating!




Had spaghetti with Xing Xing at Saizeriya. :) Learned some Russian from her today.
Let me recall. :D

Radapasnakomitze, Miniazavut Wen Xi. (Nice to meet you, I'm Wen Xi.)
Gaagte. (How are you?)
Harasho Spasibe. (I'm fine, tq.)



Lol.. I don't know if I get the spelling right. At least that was what I heard. :DD
Russian was fun!
Borrowed Xing Xing's shades and took this pic. :) She said I looked nice in it. Maybe I'll go get one soon. LOL.



Gonna go practise now! Ciao!

No comments: